Give mom some extra love this Mother’s Day, despite the strange circumstances we are all facing. The coronavirus outbreak and lockdown shouldn’t stop us from celebrating the women in our lives – moms, aunts, grandmas, mom friends and all.
Even though malls are closed, spa days can’t be done, and other fancy plans seem impossible, there are still some ways we can make this Mother’s Day meaningful! This is that one day in a year you are allowed to go extra mushy so don’t miss your chance to show mom your appreciation.
I round up 10 Mother’s Day gift ideas that cost below Php 1,000 and don’t require you to go out of the house! And if you’re living away from your mom, I also included some FREE activities you can do together virtually. In the end, remember that it’s not really the material things that matter. Quality time is the best gift you can give mom – not just on Mother’s Day, but on any normal days too.
Wow Your Mom With These 10 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Normally, I’ll give my mom flowers, but it’s hard to find a supplier that can deliver these days. Good thing I came across a better idea – house plants! Most flowers don’t last more than a week, anyway. So plants are great alternative! Shopleaf Plant Studio has a wide array of plants for sale. They have plants as low as Php 200! Better to place an order asap so they can be delivered before Mother’s Day.
Make this special day a little bit sweeter by giving mom some cupcakes! Whip up some badass cupcakes but if you can’t bake for the life of you, don’t fret! Let the experts do it and simply order!
My friend’s sister recently announced that she’s now accepting cupcake orders – and boy am I glad! Finally! I first tasted her cupcakes during my friend’s bridal shower and I super loved them. Of course, don’t just take my word for it, go try it for yourself. Visit Wildberry on Instagram to inquire and order their cupcakes and cheesecakes. I cannot wait for my order to arrive soon! Hihi! 😋 If you order from her, know that you’re supporting a budding mom-preneur! Yay! I’m all about supporting small local biz!
If you’re more artsy crafty, consider creating a scrapbook that contains your favorite family photos. Another alternative is a photo book and this company called Photobook Philippines is a leader in this field. It’s very easy to do – choose a pre-made theme and simply drag and drop your photos, add text and add other visual elements. And when you’re done, add to cart and pay. They will print your mini project and deliver it straight to your home.
They have an ongoing promo for their Mother’s Day themed photo books! The small softcover photo book normally costs Php 1,500 but it’s currently 60% OFF when you use the special code “INSPIRED20”. I tried it and it worked. After applying the discount code plus shipping fee, the total will only set you back around Php 800! They accept PayMaya, Visa and Mastercard, PayPal, or GCash payment.
Do take note that express shipping takes about 5-7 business days and standard shipping takes 7-10 business days (plus of course, some delays are to be expected) so this may arrive later than the actual Mother’s Day itself. But hey, better late than never!
If your mom is the type who appreciates handmade crafts, then check this local brand JUMIMO By Vickit. They sell beautiful handcrafted jewelry and home trinkets. The brand behind this is actually a mom-daughter team, and one of the daughters is a good friend of mine. I included here some of their new products that are readily available and are ready to ship around Metro Manila.
Your mom can use the “hand crochet face scrubbies” as a make-up remover and face cleanser. She can place her fave soap inside the “hand crochet soap saver sac” and lather on the skin. Both are made with 100% cotton material, reusable and washable! Plus points go to this brand for being eco-friendly! Another great Mother’s Day gift idea is the eyeglasses holder – your mom will never misplace her specs ever again!
Breakfast in Bed
Ahhh classic! This tried and tested technique works every time. Kickstart your mom’s day on the right note by serving her some delicious breakfast spread on the bed! If you don’t know what to prepare, check this 32 Mother’s Day Breakfast Ideas.
Virtual Gift Card
If you can’t be with your mom to prepare her some breakfast, send brunch to her instead! Or better yet, send this virtual gift card from Grab along with a personalized message. This way, she can choose whichever restaurant or meal she wishes to try.
Netflix Marathon Together
Bond more with your mom during this quarantine period. And what better way to do that than a Netflix marathon, amirighttt?? Here are 10 binge-worthy movies and series to watch on Netflix this Mother’s Day.
- Otherhood – About three best friends who feel forgotten on Mother’s Day, so they drove to New York City to surprise their adult sons.
- Bad Moms – This movie starring Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, and Kathryn Hahn is about a newly single mother who snaps under the weight of responsibility and is then joined by two other burned-out moms on a raunchy spree of bad behavior.
- Wine Country – Longtime friends went on an out of town trip to reunite, but their perfectly planned weekend didn’t turn out the way they wanted it to be.
- Marriage Story – This thought-provoking Netflix original story starring Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver examines what typically goes through a marriage falling apart.
- Baby Mama – Starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, this feel-good movie is about one infertile woman who hires a surrogate, and together they prepare for motherhood.
- Mothers & Daughters – This drama starring Selma Blair and Susan Sarandon narrates the ups and downs of mother-daughter relationships in several interconnecting stories documented by a pregnant single photographer.
- Julie & Julia – Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, and Stanley Tucci lead this heartfelt comedy-drama film about a young New Yorker who decided to spice up her boring life by cooking all recipes outlined in Julia Child’s classic cookbook.
- Stepmom – This heartfel drama film starring Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon is about a career woman attempting to earn the respect of her divorced boyfriend’s two children, whose mother doesn’t like her in their lives.
- Gilmore Girls – This comedy-drama TV series with 7 seasons will get you hooked on its story about the struggles and triumphs of an independent single mom who tries to raise a very smart daughter.
- Hi Bye, Mama! – This trending k-drama is about the ghost of a woman who was given a second chance at life for 49 days to be reunited with her remarried husband and young daughter.
If you’re not with your mom under a single roof, try doing a Netflix Party instead. Netflix Party is a Chrome extension so you can watch Netflix remotely with loved ones. It’s FREE and easy to setup a Netflix Party.
Zumba or Yoga Party
During lockdown, it’s tempting to eat and sleep all day long. Shake those booties and catch up on some exercise! It’s much fun when you’re doing workouts with someone, so go ahead and ask your mom. You can try Zumba or do some yoga – there are countless of FREE videos on Youtube that you can choose from.
Try this easy Zumba for beginners – no costly gym membership required!
Since we can’t actually go to a spa due to lockdown, why not bring the spa experience at home? There are a lot of things you can learn just by watching tutorials from Youtube. This short video shows how to give a relaxing back massage. Try it to your mom and see her body relaxes from the corona tension.
If you belong to a big family and it’s not possible to gather everyone during this special day, why not make a video greeting? Ask family members to send you a short Mother’s Day video greeting and edit them together. Your mom will truly appreciate the effort and thought. Not really a techie? Try Animoto, a FREE video maker to create your own video easily. Simply drag and drop your photos, videos, and music! Easy breezy web interface and with pre-made templates to choose from!
So there you have it! I hope this Mother’s Day gift guide will give you an idea on what to give your mom. Shout out to all the moms reading this! Happy Mother’s Day and stay awesome! 💕